Wednesday 30 September 2009

Briefs

So i've finalised what briefs i'm actually doing. It works out really well for me. There are alot of social/political theme based briefs floating around, which is not only an interest of mine, its something i see myself continuing to do. I got one brief thats simple because of how fun it would be and something i plan to expand on over the course of the year.

So here we go...

1) Don't Panic - Design the poster: Social Deadline 9th October
This will be a quick 1 week brief. The competition is judged by non other than Shepard Fairey. So this is an amazing opportunity to show your work to a well known and major artists. Perhaps the biggest artists as of late. Have a few simple ideas running through my head involving community and social networking such as fazzo myspace etc.

2) Headline - Deadline 2nd November

This is a brief run by some lads who graduated from BA last year and are running a brief to produce a poster around a headline or article from a newspaper. It can be pretty much anything you want. Illustration/Typographic/Both. And anything from political to humour.

I'm going to extend this brief to a weekly digest. Where i will screen print my response over the weeks up until the deadline and will pick the best one to hand in.
I will focus on political and social issues. Probably mostly political as there is alot of talk about lectures, afghanistan etc.

3) Communication Arts annuals Deadline: May 14 2010

Enter the most prestigious competition for creativity in graphic design, the Communication Arts Design
Competition. Any design project printed, published or aired for the first time within the last twelve
months prior to the deadline is eligible. Selected by a jury of leading design professionals, the winning
entries will be distributed worldwide in the Communication Arts Design Annual and on commarts.com,
assuring important exposure to the creators of this outstanding work.

I want to produce a series of t-shirts around British Political figures. I got this crazy idea about recreating the official photos of political figures where their face is actually one of those gimmiky halloween masks. I got the idea while watching Point Break, where Swayze and co rob banks as the Ex Presidents wearing said halloween masks.
This brief will be running until the end. As i want to produce not just t-shirts, but labels, packaging, tags and a little zine outlining the process from inital idea through to finish and looking at each character.
I hope to continue this in to some sort of brand. Going to set up my website to coincide with the deadline and launch a shop online to sell my tees.

4) Logo Designs from crowdSPRING

I had fun and learnt alot about producing logos. I found it easier to produce a logo for someone else rather than myself. I will enter a series of logo based competitions on crowdSPRING

No comments:

Post a Comment