Sunday 5 April 2009

Evaluation

YCN Evaluation

BA (Hons.) GRAPHIC DESIGN – END OF MODULE SELF-EVALUATION
Module Code – OUPD203- YCN
Level 02

1. What skills have you developed through this module and how effectively do you think you have applied them?
Over the course of this module i learnt to balance a heavy work load, although i did let my work in the image module slip. I managed to turn that around. Working in a collaboration was much easier this time round. That could be due to a number of things. 1) i feel i have matured as a designer and my work practice has improved, i think this has improved even more after working with Anand. 2) I have become more open to compromise, this is something that has shown through in the design decisions me and anand made during the brief. I hope to continue working like this throughout my time at uni and not slip into old habits.
I have also improved my visualisation skills. Again something i needed to work on and this has been improved through working with a stronger image maker than myself, and my undertaking of the image module. I have taken more time to complete each design sheet, although still alittle rough and scrappy, i always went back and touched them up. Me and Anand agreed to mark ourselves on an equal basis, but i feel i should praise him on his patience with me when developing ideas.

2. What approaches to generating work and solutions to problems have you developed and how have they helped?
Working in a collaboration has been a way of producing twice the amount of work within the same amount of time. It has enabled me to develop my ideas generation, and then have them critted by my peer before developing them even further. We worked separately, so to speak, and then were able to come back and fuse the aspects we thought were working together. I think this has proven very affective and i feel the work we have produced has a very strong concept and looks visually engaging to attract potential new customers for o2.

3. What strengths can you identify in your work and how have/will you capitalise on these?
I feel working in this collaboration has had more strengths than weaknesses. The strengths lie in our ability of developing ideas. We research throughly into existing o2 material and decided to strive away from it. Starting fresh. I'm not sure whether you can slate a companys promotional material, but i feel the whole o2 bubbles has become dated and i dont really see anything fresh from there print based material.
I think we also capitalised on the strengths we have as individual designers. We worked side by side producing different ideas, and fusing them together. Anand worked then on producing the image side of the brief, and i worked on the digital, type and layout aspects. I think this has worked very well and i hope to work with Anand again.

4. What weaknesses can you identify in your work and how could you exploit these more fully?
I found the weaknesses in our work is that although we strived away from existing o2 and other mobile companies promotional material, it was contextualised in a way that didnt really engage or inspire/persuade the purchase of a phone, internet or insurance. I also think our research into empires was a little weak, and we just looked at visual material from them eras, rather than looking at perhaps stories to adapt into a visual that relate to the business of o2.

5. Identify five things that you will do different next time and what do you expect to gain from doing these?
when working in a collaboration next time:

I think there is always room for improvement after any brief. I would like to improve my time management, as i let slip other modules to concentrate on this one, something i havent done before. This is something i have to made quickly especially as i approach my third year.

I would also engage in more primary research, as i feel we did little or non. This is something vital to my development as a designer.

I will continue to develop my visualisation skills and my images are still a little scrappy. I have ideas i just rush through them scrappily as i am afraid of letting one go. I mean, what if that is the perfect idea you left for late and forgot about.

I think our collabaration worked very well, however, i feel we wasted some time working side by side for so long and should have jumped in the deep end and got on with our assigned duties. This would prove more effective not only in the quantity of work produced but also the development of ideas.

6.How would you grade yourself on the following areas:
(please indicate using an ‘x’)
5= excellent, 4 = very good, 3 = good, 2 = average, 1 = poor

Attendance 5
Punctuality 4
Motivation 4
Commitment 4
Quantity of work produced 3
Quality of work produced 4
Contribution to the group 4

No comments:

Post a Comment